Energy saving advice
Whether you are cooking, cleaning, washing your clothes or running your bath, in each scenario you have an opportunity to reduce your carbon footprint.
The Energy Saving Trust helps people to save energy every day through their advice, research and handy hints, providing support for anyone who wants to reduce their energy consumption.
Top tips from the Energy Saving Trust
- Turning off appliances, rather than leaving them on standby, could save up to £80 a year.
- Fit draught excluders. DIY draught-proofing of windows, doors, cracks in floors and skirting boards can save up to £25 to £35 a year.
- More than half the money spent on fuel bills goes towards heating & hot water – turning down your room thermostat by just one degree can save £85–£90 a year.
- Spend one minute less in the shower each day and shave £10 from your energy bill and £15 from your water bill each year. If everyone in a four-person family did this it would lead to a total saving of £100 a year
- Only fill the kettle with the amount of water you need and save around £7 a year.
Ready to switch?